OUR JOURNEY AS WE TRY TO LIVE A GREENER AND MORE ECO-FRIENDLY LIFESTYLE

top cashback

Online Cashback

Tuesday 8 January 2008

DAY 8

Jackie was talking about cleaners and the impact they have on the environment.

We only use eco-friendly cleaners etc and have been doing for nearly 2 years, although I must admit the laundry powder is cost prohibitive so I do use a cheap bio powder but only on the very dirty clothes, everything else is just washed in water as it is the movement in the water releasing the oxygen in the water which cleans rather than loads of soap.

Our supermarkets have recently brought out their own ranges of eco-friendly products, which are cheaper and in some cases better than the branded ones; the main one is dishwash tablets, one supermarket has made their wrappers from a cornstarch type substance which dissolves in water thereby not having a wrapper to go into the rubbish.

The products I buy which are eco-friendly are:
Dishwash tablets,
dishwash liquid (for hand washing, also good for cleaning the car)
fabric softener
toilet cleaner
general purpose cleaner
washing bleach - for the extra dirty clothes which I used to add Vanish to

I use white vinegar for rinse aid, and also use this plus bicarbonate of soda as a drain cleaner flushed down with a kettle of boiling water.

Vinegar is also good for de-scaling kettles and shower heads.

I do not have normal household bleach in the house any more.

I also found an eco version of the bulbs for my spotlights in the kitchen yesterday so will be changing those as they blowout.

No comments:

Post a Comment