OUR JOURNEY AS WE TRY TO LIVE A GREENER AND MORE ECO-FRIENDLY LIFESTYLE

top cashback

Online Cashback

Monday 7 January 2008

DAY 7

Have been grocery shopping today and did not take a single carrier bag from any of the stores I visited; I took my own hessian/jute bags and some of the supermarkets "bags for life".

All groceries have been put away and it was very surprising to see which things were in excess packaging, that did not need to be. The main one from things I purchased was cookies these were wrapped in a clear plastic wrapper then wrapped again in a printed plastic wrapper or a box, at least the box is recyclable but the plastic wrappers are not.

I had also noticed that some things were now being packaged in 100% recycled cardboard which is therefore helping to close "the loop" in recycling; I also buy all recyclable paper products, eg. toilet paper, Kitchen roll, printer paper, this again is closing "the loop".

I have decided to try and use just the butcher for my meat as all supermarket meat be it organic or free range or even cheap is packaged in way too much plastic that is not recyclable by my council, at least at the butcher although still put into plastic bags it is burnable on the open fire or can be twisted and knotted and made alot smaller than the plastic trays used in the supermarkets, therefore taking up less room in my kitchen bin.

Using the local butcher (who uses local farmers) along with my organic veg box delivery, means I am also supporting local businesses as well as cutting food miles. This can only be a good thing in the larger scheme of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment