OUR JOURNEY AS WE TRY TO LIVE A GREENER AND MORE ECO-FRIENDLY LIFESTYLE

top cashback

Online Cashback

Monday 24 March 2008

GREEN AUDIT - after 3 months ( DAY 84)

As we are nearing the end of the first quarter of our greener year I have been doing a little "audit" to see if we have come any further than when we started.

I have found the following things:

1. All lightbulbs are now eco - friendly, as I have even managed to find some for my spotlights in the kitchen.

2. All paper, cardboard, steel, aluminium, glass, and plastics that the Uk recycles are recycled.

3. All veggie and fruit waste is composted either in the home composter or the collection bin provided by the council.

4. All garden waste is dealt with the same as in 3 above.

5. I have purchased plugin timers for my washing machine and dishwasher, so they can be run in the early hours on cheaper electric.

6. The central heating (oil) is only ever on if really cold or someone is ill, we use extra layers instead, and the boys have a small electric heater they use if necessary for short time in their bedrooms.

7. We do have a coal/wood fire in the living room and the wood is all scavenged/beachcombed, admittedly we do buy coal and this is something I will be looking at.

8. I use the car only one maybe two days per week now for errands, making sure I combine all trips into that one or two.

9. We have cut down on our consumption of processed foods, ie. cookies, pies, pasties etc in favour of more home cooked/baked items.

10. All junk mail has stopped since I signed up up for the scheme run here in Uk which deletes your details from mailing lists which are sold to marketing companies.

11. Any clothes the boys have outgrown are either passed on to someone who can use them or are given to charity for them to sell/use.

12. I have found 2 companies whom I can post things to to be reycled, although this does cost me postage I feel this is better than it going to landfill, these are water filter cartridges, and type 4 plastic.

1 comment:

  1. AWESOME I love your blog Maisie it is really neat to read and see what other families are doing as well as mine I have added you to my favorites. please feel free to check us out too http://goinggreenish.blogspot.com/ we are also trying to do the same as you..except we live on a small hobby farm in Northern Wisconsin in the US
    Take care I look forward to seeing more

    Sue

    ReplyDelete