OUR JOURNEY AS WE TRY TO LIVE A GREENER AND MORE ECO-FRIENDLY LIFESTYLE

top cashback

Online Cashback

Saturday 27 September 2008

Non - Recyclable Packaging & Rubbish in General


I have decided to post the packaging I have from goods I buy from the supermarkets which is their own label back to their Head Offices for them to deal with.

I have hopefully persuaded a few of my online "greenies" to also join in with this.

So today will see me sorting through the packaging I had saved from the landfill bin as I thought it could either be posted to GHS or I would take some of it to the HRF.

It will be sorted into 3 different categories:

a) that which can be sent back to supermarkets Head Office with a covering letter asking them to change their packaging
b) things that can be taken to the HRF to be recycled by the council
c) things that I can still send to GHS to be recycled.

Although some of what I am sending back to the supermarkets could be taken to the HRF, I want to get the message to the supermarkets that non-recyclable/not easily recyclable packaging is not acceptible.

With having children I accept that some items such as crisps, chocolate and sweets are part of the rubbish we will get as a family, but with buying mostly own label I can return the majority of this back to the supermarket Head Office.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Maisie,

    Returning packaging, with others making a contribution, is a good way to address our concerns to management.

    The ideal situation would be where all waste packaging is fully recycled/reused and financed by the companies producing it. Proposed Battery collections are being financed by the companies involved.

    We should try every means at our disposal. Plastic caps are my latest target. I aim to use 1 and only 1 cap, for each product, to force the reuse of these durable items.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maisie

    Funnily enough, the idea of returning unrecyclable packaging to the relevant supermarket HQ came to me just the the other day.

    I am presently avoiding buying anything in this category but once my Zero Waste Challenge Week is over and I return to reality ...

    If enough people did it, even once, then it would surely have an effect.

    ReplyDelete