OUR JOURNEY AS WE TRY TO LIVE A GREENER AND MORE ECO-FRIENDLY LIFESTYLE

top cashback

Online Cashback

Monday 15 September 2008

The Landfill Bin and Recycled Waste

Following on from the last 2 weeks I have decided to not put out the Landfill Wheelie Bin for collection until it is full.

So I will be monitoring this now as an ongoing project to see just how long it takes us to fill it; based on the last 2 weeks I would hazard a guess at 3 months (12 weeks); but we will see.

Whilst taking DS2 to school this morning we were discussing how well we have done over the last 2 weeks and then discussed that the next step would be to reduce packaging coming into the house at source, so that even though we can recycle it; it is still waste/rubbish which has to be dealt with.

Alot of things which we use do not come in an alternative form so we will have to continue to put this packaging into the recyling bin.
A typical example of this is Dh's beer cans or my wine bottle, as well as the tins that certain products come in like baked beans.

5 comments:

  1. Hi maisie,

    The music is ace. Amy Winehouse's Back to Black is superb.

    Good idea to totally fill the bin before putting out. It will give you some well-earned extra lie-ins. My 4-5 year binbag is going well. Neighbours are dumbstruck, though I still do the 2-weekly garden bin for me and my neighbour.

    Cutting down on waste can be helped by changing activities. My next plan is to reuse 1 coffee jar lid so that when I buy another jar, the lid/liner can be left at customer services. Just say "I reuse a coffee lid at home". The jar is still sealed and safe to take home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John,
    Am toying with the idea of posting all the crisp packets and any unrecyclable plastic wrappers back to wherever they came from with a note stating it is their responsibilty to recycle responsibly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi maisie,

    There are several choices in removing this waste. Stop buying it, put in the bin, collect for later recycling, take back to supermarket, leave in the supermarket, send back to supplier.

    Where purchase is unavoidable (crisps/biscuits etc), transfer to containers is the most direct way. It requires nerve and my aim is to make it an everyday occurrence. Leaving the waste there will force change in superstore practices.

    Contacting suppliers is worth a go but I doubt its effectiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. \sorry John should have been a bit more specific.
    As I usually shop at Tesco or Sainsburys and buy own label I was going to post the wrappers to their head offices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi again maisie,

    I missed the superstore HQ idea which is more relevant, as you said.

    My idea is ZeroWastePackaging which is avoiding plastic packaging waste, by all means.

    The family situation is more difficult since children like a lot of the "bad" items, crisps, biscuits etc. Supermarkets providing return facilities for this packaging type would be ideal, in present circumstances.

    Alternatively, accepting some such waste for the home bin is fine. Zero Waste is an aspiration to strive for not a requirement.

    ReplyDelete